Guess the Year Quiz
This week’s history round is all about identifying the year. We will give you 3 famous world events, you need to give the year that all three events occurred in.
1. The Republic of China was established, the Titanic hit an iceberg and Arizona became the 48th U.S. state.
2. The first commercial Concorde flight, Harold Wilson resigned from his post as Prime Minister and the Eagles released Hotel California.
3. Germany invaded Denmark and Norway in operation Weserübung, Winston Churchill gave his first address as Prime Minister and Walt Disney’s Fantasia is released.
4. The unmanned Soviet spacecraft Luna 9 made the first controlled rocket-assisted landing on the moon, England beat Germany 4-2 to win the World Cup and John Lennon was forced to apologise for claiming that the Beatles were ‘more popular than Jesus’.
5. The ‘U-Bahn’ (The Berlin underground system) was opened, Cuba gained independence from the United States and Lord Salisbury resigned as British Prime Minister.
6. West Germany joined NATO, Anthony Eden became Prime Minister and James Dean died in a car accident.
7. An earthquake measuring 7.0 devastated Haiti, the Eurozone and the International Monetary Fund agreed a 110 billion euro bailout deal for Greece and 33 Chilean miners were rescued after being trapped underground for 69 days.
8. David Niven and Jean Genet were born, the Union of South Africa was created and George V became King of England.
9. Fritz Lang’s famous film ‘Metropolis’ premiered in Germany, the first Volvo car was made in Sweden and the first trans-atlantic telephone call was made from New York to London, via radio.
10. Sylvia Plath committed suicide in London, the Beatles released their first album, ‘Please Please Me’ and John F. Kennedy gave his ‘Ich bin ein Berliner’ speech in West Berlin.
To download the Guess the Year quiz as a PDF contestant question paper, please click on the grey box below: